Whether you’re new pair of velvet slippers just arrived at your doorstep or you’re trying to envision yourself in them before buying, you want to learn how to wear velvet slippers. And you’ve come to the right place.
At Del Toro, we don’t just offer the best Italian shoes online - we have the resources you need to wear them in style so you can look and feel your best every time you step outside. And here in this article, we’re going to guide you through the dos and don’ts of wearing velvet slippers for men and women alike.
Before we get into some gender-specific styling tips, let’s cover the basics of wearing velvet slippers.
The Basics of Wearing Velvet Slippers
Let’s get some general information out of the way. First and foremost, we want you to understand that there is rarely a bad time to wear your new slippers. These are among the most versatile shoes you can have in your wardrobe.
They work marvelously for formal settings like weddings, fancy dinner dates, parties, you name it. But, they can also be worn in casual settings - to brunch, to work, running errands, etc. Essentially, you can rely on your trusty velvet slippers anytime you want to put your best foot forward and capture all the attention when entering a space.
You can read our full guide on when to wear velvet slippers for more information. Just know that you don’t ever have to wonder whether your slippers are a good fit for any given setting. It just comes down to how you wear them. And if you’re ever in doubt as to whether loafers vs slippers are the right choice, you can read our complete guide.
As with any footwear you own, you also need to keep your slippers looking clean and pristine to show them off in all their glory. Our guide on how to clean velvet shoes can help you with this.
We also want to clear up the sock debate before proceeding any further. While many of our customers wonder - do you wear socks with loafers? - we have customers wondering the same in regard to velvet slippers. This is mainly personal preference, but we prefer no socks or no-show socks. This maintains the sleek silhouette of the shoe and prevents your sock line from detracting from the low-profile nature of these slippers.
Now, before we get into our tips on how to wear velvet slippers we also want to touch on the importance of getting the top-quality slippers you deserve.
These are considered a luxurious type of footwear - one of the most sophisticated you can have in your arsenal, in fact. They help you show off your personality and charisma when you enter any setting, and they’ll be the first thing people notice about you. This is why you need to carefully consider the specific slippers you get - you need the best of the best to truly pull this look off.
And at Del Toro, that’s exactly what you’ll find. We’re proud to offer the best velvet smoking slippers available online. Handcrafted in the heart of Italy, we still use the time-honored traditions of Italian shoemaking. Our expert artisans cut, sculpt, and hand-paint each pair of shoes with unparalleled attention to detail - while using the finest materials. The end result is a stunning work of art that doesn’t just look amazing - it feels amazing on your feet, too.
We know you’re excited to show off your new slippers - and we’re going to help you dress to impress so you can leave the house confidently. Ladies first…
How to Wear Velvet Slippers for Women
We don’t just create luxury Italian shoes for men. At Del Toro, you’ll also gain access to a remarkable selection of Italian women’s shoes - including our popular Italian velvet slippers for ladies. With an assortment of colors and styles, the perfect pair is waiting to be discovered over on our site. And once they arrive at your doorstep, here is some advice on rocking them in style based on the setting:
- Casual Wear: For a casual look, you can pair velvet slippers with jeans, a basic t-shirt, and a denim jacket. This will create a relaxed yet stylish outfit perfect for a day out with friends. While the slippers add a touch of elegance to your look, the denim/t-shirt balances them out.
- Formal Wear: For a formal occasion, you can wear velvet slippers with a long dress or a skirt suit. This creates a classic and elegant look that is perfect for a black-tie event or formal dinner party.
- Semi-formal Wear: For a semi-formal event, you can pair velvet slippers with a midi or maxi dress. This creates a sophisticated yet comfortable look that is perfect for a cocktail party or semi-formal wedding. The break between your dress and the slippers will have all eyes on your footwear - which is what you want.
- Business Casual Wear: For a business casual look, you can pair velvet slippers with dress pants and a blouse. This creates a comfortable yet polished look that is perfect for a day at the office or a business meeting.
- Casual Work Wear: If you want to keep things casual while adhering to workplace dress codes, you can pair velvet slippers with jeans and a blazer. This creates a chic yet comfortable look that is perfect for a casual Friday at the office. Of course, your specific workplace dress code will dictate what you should wear, but this look works well for most company settings.
In general, velvet slippers are a great statement piece and can add a touch of luxury and sophistication to any outfit. When wearing velvet slippers, it's important to keep the rest of the outfit simple and let the slippers be the focal point. One of the best pieces of style advice we’ve ever gotten was to only have 1 statement piece per outfit - and when wearing your velvet slippers, you want them to do all the talking.
Additionally, when choosing velvet slippers, opt for neutral colors such as black, navy, or burgundy, as they are more versatile and can be worn with a wider range of outfits. But if you have the budget, you can stock up on a wide range of more obscure colors and styles at Del Toro - like our leopard print, tennis ball felt, benihana red flower print, and more.
How to Wear Velvet Slippers for Men
Now, if you came here wondering how to wear velvet slippers for men, it’s your turn to get styled. Just as with our advice to the women reading along, you can effortlessly dress your slippers up or down depending on the setting. Here are some outfit recommendations based on some of the common situations you may encounter:
- Casual Wear: One of the easiest ways to rock your favorite pair of velvet slippers in casual settings is with dark wash jeans, a crisp white button-up shirt, and a blazer. This creates a sophisticated yet relaxed outfit that's perfect for a night out with friends. If you want to dress the slippers down even more, you can replace the button-up shirt with a nice polo or even a crisp tee shirt.
- Formal Wear: For more formal settings, you can wear velvet slippers with a tuxedo or go all out with a velvet suit. This creates a stylish and elegant look that's perfect for a black-tie event or formal gala. We recently wrote an article on the best tuxedo shoes and highlighted a few other ways you can style your slippers with a tux. Of course, wearing loafers with a tuxedo is also a great choice.
- Semi-Formal Wear: You can pair velvet slippers with a tailored suit or dress pants and a blazer for instances where you want to dress up without looking overdressed. This combination creates a polished and sophisticated look that's perfect for a wedding or dinner party, without “overdoing it”.
- Business Casual Wear: Whether you’ve got a business meeting or a long day at the office, you can enhance the mundane nature of work by weaning your velvet slippers with a nice pair of tapered dress pants and a collared shirt. This creates a comfortable yet professional outfit that's perfect for a day at the office or a business meeting. Always default to your company’s specific dress code, though.
- Loungewear: Velvet slippers can also be worn as part of your loungewear or pajamas. Pair them with a silk robe or pajama set for a luxurious and comfortable look. Or, better yet, get a pair of our stunning, comfortable leather house slippers.
When wearing velvet slippers, it's important to choose the right color and style to match your outfit. Your safest bet is to round out your wardrobe with neutral colors like black, navy, or burgundy for a more versatile look - just as we advised the women to do earlier. This will ensure you can enough use out of the slippers.
But, you can always choose a bolder color or pattern to make a statement as well - we’ve got it all for you at Del Toro. And as always, make sure the rest of your outfit is well-groomed and tailored to create a cohesive and polished look.
Final Thoughts on How to Wear Velvet Slippers
We hope this article inspired you to wear your new velvet slippers in any setting - formal, casual, and everything in between. There are so many ways to style these slippers and show them off on different occasions. That’s what makes them so fun - and in our opinion, one of the absolute essentials for any well-dressed man or woman.
And now that you know how to wear velvet slippers, there’s only one thing left to do. Get your outfit pieced together so you can step out with confidence! Or, if you haven’t bought yours yet, head over to Del Toro to find the premier selection of handmade Italian shoes online. Beyond slippers, you can explore our selection of men’s Italian loafers, men’s tuxedo shoes, men’s wedding shoes, and a full range of women’s shoes - including Italian loafers for women.
Treat yourself to the comfort and style you deserve today at Del Toro.