Want to learn how to wear smoking slippers? You've come to the right place. These are one of our favorite types of footwear, ever since launching our Velvet Slippers back in 2005. And if you're just now learning of them, they’ll soon be your favorite, too. However, you might not feel confident in how you should go about wearing them or styling them. Don’t worry - we're here to teach you everything you need to know about wearing smoking slippers.
You might think smoking slippers are the perfect shoes for lazy days around the house.
But, did you know that you can and should also wear smoking slippers out of the house? In this blog post, we're going to teach you how to wear smoking slippers for any occasion. We'll discuss what situations to wear them in, what outfits to wear them with, and more style tips that will help you dress in confidence.
So, whether you're lounging around at home or heading out for a night on the town, keep reading to look and feel your best in smoking slippers! Let's start with some basic information on this classic footwear style.
What Exactly Are Smoking Slippers?
First things first - what are smoking slippers?
Smoking slippers are a type of soft, lightweight shoe that is usually made out of velvet or leather. They have low heels, no laces, and range in style from simple solid colors to vibrant patterned designs. Smoking slippers were originally designed for men to wear indoors, and they have since become popular among women as well. And as you’ll soon discover, they are no longer worn for just lounging around the house. In fact, these days, the primary place to wear a smoking slipper is at a formal event.
If you want to learn more about smoking slippers - including the history of the shoe, the characteristics that separate them from other types of slippers, and more - click the article linked above. It is a great introductory resource. For now, though, let’s move onto the topic at hand today.
How to Wear Smoking Slippers: Our Top Style Tips
As we mentioned earlier, these can be dressed up or down depending on the situation. This makes them perfect for a variety of occasions. Here are some tips on how to wear smoking slippers:
- Wear them with jeans and a tee for a casual look.
- Dress them up with a pretty dress or skirt.
- For a formal look for men, wear yours with a nice fitted suit or even a tux instead of the typical dress shoes or tuxedo shoes.
- Pair them with shorts and a tank top for a laid-back summertime outfit.
- Try wearing smoking slippers in place of your usual flats or sandals.
- Avoid the socks if you’d like to wear them the Italian way! While many shoes (and even certain sandal styles, such as slides) can be worn with socks, smoking slippers are best worn sockless. If you’d no show socks, take a look at our selection.
The key to wearing smoking slippers is to keep the rest of your outfit simple. Since they already make quite a statement, you may not want to overdo it by pairing them with other loud patterns or colors. Keep it simple, and let your smoking slippers do the talking!
And if you don't feel that the looks we've recommended above quite do it for you, then experiment for yourself. There is no bad way to wear your smoking slippers if you like the way you look - at least, as long as you aren't breaking any dress codes.
When to Wear Smoking Slippers
Now that you know how to style smoking slippers, you might be wondering when the best time is to wear them. And in our opinion, there aren't many instances where smoking slippers are a bad idea. This style of footwear is incredibly versatile and can be worn beyond your living room or home office.
With that said, they may be a bit too casual for boardroom meetings, fancy dinner dates, the club, and situations that require something more formal. For these types of instances, we encourage you to stick with a quality pair of luxury Italian loafers or even some nice handmade Italian slippers. Nevertheless, there are quite a few scenarios where you can confidently rock the smoking slippers in style. Here are a few of our favorite occasions:
- At home: This one should go without saying - but around your home is the most common place we see men and women alike rocking smoking slippers. Slip into your pair when you're relaxing at home or entertaining guests. They'll keep your feet comfortable while still looking chic. And, you don't have to put on an actual pair of shoes if you decide to step outside for a bit.
- On vacation: If you're traveling somewhere warm, bring along a pair of lightweight smoking slippers to throw on after a long day of exploring. While you're lounging at the resort or on the beach, you can still look fresh.
- To work: In some workplaces, it's perfectly acceptable to wear flats or other low heels. If your office has a relaxed dress code, consider swapping out your usual shoes for a pair of smoking slippers. Of course, if you work from home, these slippers can be your designated workshoe - just add a bathrobe or your favorite pair of pajamas.
- To a party: Smoking slippers can add a fun and festive touch to any outfit, making them perfect for holiday parties or other special occasions. This is especially true when you're the one hosting the party!
- To weddings: Want to make a statement at an upcoming wedding? Whether you’re the one getting hitched or you’re a guest, smoking slippers are a unique choice that look stunning when styled properly.
As you can see, there are many occasions where smoking slippers would be appropriate. So next time you're getting dressed, don't forget to grab your favorite pair!
Additional Style Tips for Wearing Smoking Slippers
At this point, you know how to wear smoking slippers and when is a good time to bust them out. But before we wrap things up we want to provide a few more smoking slipper styling recommendations. Follow these tips when wearing yours to look your best in any situation:
- Choose a color: Black, brown, and gray smoking slippers will go with just about anything. A louder color can be a good choice too if you’d like to make more of a statement.
- Pick the right material: Velvet smoking slippers are perfect for dressier occasions, while leather or suede works well for a more casual look. We're biased towards the velvet option, but your perfect pick will depend on how you anticipate wearing your slippers.
- Choose the right size: Smoking slippers should fit snugly on your feet without being too tight. If they're too big, they'll slip off when you walk. If they're too small, they'll rub against your feet and contribute to blisters. Our guide on how do Italian shoes fit is a great resource if you're not sure how to size yours.
- Accessorize: Since smoking slippers make such a statement, it's best to keep the rest of your outfit relatively simple. But that doesn't mean you can't add your favorite timepiece or some other pieces of jewelry. A few well-chosen accessories will do the trick to tie your whole outfit together.
Final Thoughts On How To Wear Smoking Slippers
At this point, there is just one question left to be answered - how will you wear your smoking slippers? As you can see, there are all sorts of possibilities. You can wear these casually or dress them up with ease. There are very few scenarios where your smoking slippers won't be a welcome look - from parties to work, lounging around the house to relaxing on vacation.
The last thing to do is pick your perfect pair. For some inspiration, take a look at our review of the best Italian shoes - a guide that features some of the most stunning styles currently on the market. And for all your quality footwear needs, shop Del Toro - home of the finest handmade Italian shoes online!